It is believed that a stone church was erected on the site of the present-day All Saints in the mid-17th century. In 1664, Rev. Ralph Adams, formerly rector of Rathconrath, was appointed rector of Mullingar and found the church in ruins. Adams looked to Sir James Leigh of Pierstown, Lord Lieutenant of the county, to fund a rebuilding effort. It is popularly believed that the foundation stone in the fabric of the exterior north wall of the church dates from this period. A memorial to Sir James Leigh can be seen in the porch.
IMAGE: 3. Adams memorial
IMAGE: 4. Foundation stone
IMAGE: 5. Leigh memorial
In 1682, Sir Henry Piers refers to All Saints as having been handsomely rebuilt. This was confirmed in Bishop Dopping’s Visitation Book of 1682–1685, which notes that the nave and chancel had recently been restored and the church was in good repair, with a shingled roof and glazed windows. In 1691, All Saints was an approximately rectangular building with two projections on the south side. By the mid-18th century, however, the chancel was in ruins.