Comprising of All Saints Mullingar - Killucan - Kilbixy & Almoritia
St Etchen's Church - Killucan
The Monastic site founded by St. Etchen, Bishop of Clonfad in the 6th century A.D. is where
the present Church of St. Etchen built in the year 1813 now stands.
It houses some beautiful stain glass windows, the most important one is the East Window
above the Holy table. This is the work of celebrated artist, Sarah Purser. It depicts the Good
Shepherd, William Price erected it in 1926.
The organ is a two manual pipe instrument and other pieces of interest are the lectern and
The Lectern known as the "Eagle" is a beautifully carved and brass mounted. It stands over
six feet tall and was kindly presented by the Vandeleur family in 1881.
The pulpit is also a fine example of former day craftsmanship in carved oak an was
presented by the D'Arcy family in 1904. The fine 13th century Baptismal Font was dug up in
the Churchyard by the Rev. William Falkiner, Rector of the Parish from 1892 to 1910. The
Vessel was cleaned and furnished with a cover, pedestal and base. It was then set up for
use in the newly restored church of St. Etchen which stands on the ancient monastic site
A vault underneath the Church contains the remains of nine of the Pakenham family, Earls of
Longford. The last burial there was the Major Hon. Frederick Beaucham Pakenham in 1901.
Also buried there is Col. Pakenham who led the British forces into the Battle of New Orleans.
St Etchens Church Killucan Bicentenary Celebrations - Details Here
Follow us on Twitter