Comprising of All Saints Mullingar - Killucan - Kilbixy & Almoritia
Heritage Week
MULLINGAR UNION OF PARISHES

Heritage Week runs from 20th August 2016 to 28th August 2016

All Saints
All Saints Church is a focal point in Mullingar and represents one of the more important elements of the built heritage of the town.

It contains some fine examples of stained glass, and an important collection of memorials dating from the mid 17th century to the late 19th century. There has been a church on this site since 1208, the current church is celebrated the bicentenary of its opening in 2014

All Saints' Church is part of the Mullingar Union of Parishes and will be open to the public at the stated times. There will be a guide within the Church during these times also.

Heritage Week Opening Times
23rd August 14:00 PM to 16:00 PM
25th August 14:00 PM to 16:00 PM
27th August 14:00 PM to 18:00 PM

Local Contact Harry Haskins Email: marric@eircom.net 046 9549341

Further Information
All Saints' Church Open for Heritage Week All Saints Church illustrates the changing tastes in Church of Ireland architecture throughout the nineteenth century with various Gothic Revival and Tudor Revival styles in evidence. This church was rebuilt in 1813 at the cost of £3554, an enormous sum of money at the time, using £2261 raised by 'parochial assessment', £185 granted by the Trustees of the Blue Coat Hospital and a loan of £1108 from the Board of First Fruits (1722-1833). The prominent and elevated position of this church has been used as the site of church buildings since c.1200, when a church here was granted to the Augustinian priory of Llanthony Prima, Gwent, by Simon de Rochford, the Bishop of Meath. This church was still in the possession of Llanthony Prima at the time of the Dissolution, c.1540. A church here was described as 'ruinous' in 1660 but later as 'handsomely rebuilt' in 1682 by Sir Henry Piers in his celebrated chronological description of Westmeath. The chancel was later described as 'ruinous', c.1750, and the nave was apparently thatched at this time. Following the building or rebuilding of the church in 1813, the church was given an extensive refit to the designs of Joseph Welland (1798-1860) and William Gillespie. In 1878 the chancel/sanctuary and the transepts were raised to designs by Sir Thomas Drew (1838-1910), one of the most celebrated architects of his day. Drew also designed the Ulster Bank branch of Dame Street, Dublin, the Trinity College Graduate's Building, Rathmines Town Hall, and St Anne's Cathedral in Belfast. In more recent times the there have been considerable works done to refurbish the church, allowing for a balcony and an interior hall for events and the occasionally tea and coffee after services. The Church houses an important collection memorials dating from the mid-seventeenth to the late nineteenth-century. All Saints Church s a focal point in Mullingar and represents one of the more important elements of the built heritage of the town.


Walking Tours with Historian Ruth Illingworth - Finnishing up with All Saints Church and Local History
Further Details to Follow.


Church of St Bigseachs - Kilbixy
The church in Kilbixy was built between 1793 and 1798 to a design by James Wyatt. The roof of the nave collapsed in the 1960's and the church has recently been re-roofed and restored. -
Kilbixy Church is part of the Mullingar Union of Parishes and will be open to the public at the stated times. There will be a guide within the Church during these times also.
Heritage Week Opening Times
27th August 14:00 PM to 16:00 PM
28th August 13:00 PM to 16:00 PM

Local Contact David Miller 0876181155

Further Information:
Kilbixy Church Lord Sunderlin built this present church in 1798 and is believed to be designed by the famous Architect James Wyatt, who also designed Coole Castle in Enniskillen and The Senior Common Rooms and Senior Library of Oriel College, Oxford to name but a few. In the 1960's the ceiling of the original church collapsed and it was considered beyond the means of the parishioners to restore the elaborate ceiling. The result was that the building was divided into two parts, one part formed an open courtyard and the remainder was re-roofed to form the church. The severe winters of 2010/11 caused great damage to the church roof; following which the entire church was fully restored. Beside the church are the unique ruins of one of the few leper hospitals in Ireland. The ruined walls of this hospital are four feet thick with two large window openings - a structure similar to the keep of a Norman Castle. Beside the church, is a Mausoleum built at the same time, with a vault underneath the floor where four of the Malone family are buried, including Lord Sunderlin and his brother, the celebrated literary expert "Shakespeare" Malone.

St Etchens Church
Details to Follow


Cost/Booking
Admission Fee: Free

Access Details
Suitable for Children: Yes
Wheelchair Access: Full

Organiser Details
Event Organiser/Organisation: Harry Haskins
Email: info@mullingarunionofparishes.net
Telephone: 046 9549341

Website: mullingarunionofparishes.net






Whats on in Westmeath During Heritage Week Click here To See Event Listings